Friday, March 23, 2018

GALINA SEDOVA. A CHAPTER ON BULGAKOV. DCLVIII



Alpha And Omega.
Posting #45.


…Apostle Peter, if you turn me down
And I shall have to leave,
what shall I do in Hell?
My love will melt the ice of Hell,
And my tear will flood Hell’s fire…

N. S. Gumilev. Paradise.


Considering that Yeshua’s prototype is the Russian poet Nikolai Stepanovich Gumilev, he enters the Paradise. Already in Bulgakov’s White Guard, Alexei Turbin has a dream in which Colonel Nai-Turs, whose prototype is also N. S. Gumilev, as well as the Sergeant who died in 1916 during the First World War appear to him in Paradise. They are met, as they are supposed to be met, by the Apostle Peter.
What strikes Alexei the most is that dead Bolsheviks from Perekop are also admitted to Paradise. The dead Sergeant Zhilin explains that God Himself has told this to Zhilin:

You are all equal in my sight, Zhilin. Slain on a battlefield.

Bulgakov puts two roses in what seems like a pool of blood, meaning that he considered both poets: Gumilev and Blok – slain innocents.
Which brings me to yet another astonishing poem by Gumilev from the poetry collection Quiver, titled Paradise:

Apostle Peter, get your keys:
One worthy of Paradise is knocking on your door.
Saint Thomas with the Fathers of the Church
Will show that I was straight in the Dogmata,
And let Saint George relate to them the story
How at the time of war I was fighting the enemy…

Taking the Saints as his Intercessors, Gumilev stands on fairly firm ground in his desire to be accepted into Paradise:

…Saint Anthony can then corroborate
That I could never subdue my flesh,
But then Saint Cecilia’s mouth
Will whisper that my soul is pure…

Already in despair, Gumilev appeals to Apostle Peter:

…Apostle Peter, if you turn me down
And I shall have to leave, what shall I do in Hell?
My love will melt the ice of Hell,
And my tear will flood Hell’s fire.
In front of you dark Seraphim
Will appear as my intercessor.

But being a soldier, Gumilev cannot even imagine a possibility of being turned down, and he ends the poem on an assertive note:

Delay no more, and get your keys:
One worthy of Paradise is knocking on your door!

Breathtaking!

There is ambiguity in where Bulgakov’s Gumilev gets himself to. In parting, Woland calls master a “triply romantic master.” This is indicative of all three prototypes of master, namely, Alexander Blok, Andrei Bely, and Nikolai Gumilev. Considering that it was Gumilev who wrote the poetry collection Romantic Flowers (1903-1907), it is impossible to dispute the fact that Gumilev also goes to “Rest” in Bulgakov. Master’s suddenly appearing white “braided plait” points to the same thing. Bulgakov also gets it from Gumilev’s poem The Tram That Lost Its Way.
In fact, it can be said that all of Master and Margarita is resting on a single “elephant leg,” which is the above-mentioned poem by Gumilev.

The theme of the keys turns out to be very interesting in Bulgakov and deserves special attention, as it immediately transports the reader into the political thriller of Master and Margarita. Already on the first page of Chapter 13: The Appearance of the Hero, Bulgakov comes up with the following passage:

“The new arrival winked at Ivan, hid a bundle of keys in his pocket, inquired in a whisper: May I sit down? – and having received a nod in the affirmative, placed himself in the armchair.”

Introducing his “hero” to the reader, Bulgakov generously showers him with epithets, calling him “the unknown,” “the mysterious visitor,” as though inviting the reader to figure out who the “mysterious stealer of the keys” really is.
There are many verses about “keys” in Blok’s poetry, but, same as in Gumilev, they are linked to religion, like in Blok’s 1902 poem Religio in the 6th cycle of Verses About a Fair Lady:

I am guarding Her keys
And unseen, I am present with Her
When swords are crossed
For the beauty of the Unreachable.

Calling “Her” Unreachable, and also having written:

…I knew You, my eternal friend,
You, the Keeper-Virgin…” –

– Blok clearly writes here about the Mother of God.

To be continued...

***



No comments:

Post a Comment