Saturday, August 26, 2017

GALINA SEDOVA. A CHAPTER ON BULGAKOV. CCCCIII



Blok’s Women. Francesca.
Posting 3.


Blok’s unrhymed and untitled 1908 poem in the poetry collection Faina, in which the poet fantasizes about Francesca is closely connected to another poem probably written about the same time, I say probably because Blok does not put a date on it. This poem is part of the poetry collection Harps and Violins (1908-1916).

Radiant like the day, but incomprehensible,
All real, but like a fragment of a dream…

[Perhaps she is a reminiscence of Blok?]

…She comes with distinct speech,
And after her always comes spring…

[In other words, the action in this poem takes place in winter.]

…She sits right here, and starts chatting [sic!]
She likes to tease me
And to hint that everybody knows
About the secret whirlwind of her fire.
But I, without listening attentively
To her spasmodic chatter,
I watch how alarm expands
In the gleam of the eyes and the trembling of the shoulders.
But when her talk finally reaches my heart,
And I am intoxicated by her perfume [sic!],
And I fall in love with the eyes and the shoulders,
Like with spring wind, like with poetry, –
The cold wrist will sparkle,
And interrupting her own chatter
She herself insists that the power of passion
Is nothing before the coldness of the mind!

This produces an impression that in the woman depicted in these two poems, Blok has found his match.
In order to understand all this, we must remember the following lines from another titleless poem from the same poetry collection Faina:

And always measuring with a strict heart,
He didn’t know how to love, and couldn’t.

This is how Blok is writing about himself, thus comparing both these women – in the titleless and rhymeless poem ending in the story of Paolo and Francesca – and in the poem from the collection Harps and Violins, complements and explains the first one.
A couple of pages later, Blok returns to this theme again:

I may have lived without love,
I may be breaking the vows,
But you are still stirring my soul,
Wherever I chance to meet you!
Oh, these faraway arms!
Into my dim life
You are bringing your charm
Even in separation!

And then in the next poem Blok confesses to himself that she does not love him:

Years flowed after years,
And the blind and stupid me
Only today dreamt it up in my sleep
That she has never loved me at all…

(The reader may still remember that A. Blok compares this woman to “a fragment of a dream” – “…All real, but like a fragment of a dream…).

…I was only a passerby along your way,
But that infantile fervor has grown cold,
And she told me: Forgive me…

Blok closes his poetry collection Harps and Violins with the following words:

I remember with an otherworldly sadness
All my past, as though it were yesterday…
I recognize you in my sad dreams,
And with my hands I press
Your hand of an enchantress,
While repeating the faraway name.

It is interesting that at the end of Harps and Violins Blok calls himself “only a passerby along her way.” At the same time, note that among the first poems in this collection he has one titled To A Passerby [feminine form].
Thus with this poem I am closing the circle: starting with the titleless and rhymeless poem which ends with another famous woman from world literature, namely, Francesca da Rimini.
Blok’s poem To A Passerby starts in a solemn tone:

I am only a knight and a poet,
A descendant of a Northern skald,
Whereas your husband carries a book of Wilde –
Your husband is a disdainful aesthete…

This poem shows the reality of the time in which A. Blok lived and how much he yearned to have lived in the time of Paolo and Francesca, whose story was told by the great Dante in La Divina Commedia.

...Isn’t the reason why he is a scoffer
The fact that he is suspicious without measure?
And I… What are his chimerae to me?
Today I am in love with you!..

Blok is not of a very high opinion of the object of his love:

…You are dressed, like in garments,
In treachery, flattery, and lies…
Tell me, you faithful wife,
Have you ever trembled with a sacred quiver?
Have you ever been secretly in love?..

And he again returns to her husband:

…And is it possible at all
That this sleepy, jealous and ridiculous spouse
Would ever whisper to you: let’s go, my friend…
Having wrapped you in a green plaid
Against the winter blizzards of St. Petersburg?

Once again Blok raises the theme of winter like in the two core poems that I have been analyzing.

…And is it possible at all that after the ball
Your languid glance wasn’t being sly,
When you were pulling down from your sloping shoulders
That airy garment of yours,
Having tasted the light poison of the dance?

In other words, Blok accuses the “faithful wife” of hypocrisy. This woman never loved anybody, either her husband or her lovers.
This is why the titleless poem in that same poetry collection Harps and Violins, placed third in it, that is, one page before To A Passerby, is so important.


To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment