Monday, August 14, 2017

GALINA SEDOVA. A CHAPTER ON BULGAKOV. CCCLXXXVIII



A Swallow’s Nest of Luminaries.
The Lion and the Servant Maiden.
Posting #3.


I conjured, and I believed the conjuring,
I pleaded with the Creator for a stormless bliss,
When suddenly I saw a tall crucifix,
Nailed to which was a white-haired vampire in purple.

Andrei Bely. Nailed Horror.


In a very interesting fashion Bulgakov combines the ideas of Mayakovsky and Yesenin, and creates his own. Master, who is writing a novel about the Crucifixion of Christ, titled Pontius Pilate, is connected by the demonic force with the witch Margarita. Bulgakov does not explain how she had become a witch, which can only be understood having read Mayakovsky’s Flute-Spine.—

God is content. Under the heavens, in a wringer,
The exhausted man has become wild and extinct.
God is rubbing the palms of his hands.
Thinks God: ‘Just you wait, Vladimir!’

A very important moment comes here, which is directly related to Master and Margarita.

It’s to his, his [that is, God’s] mind came the idea,
So that [Vladimir Mayakovsky] would not figure it out,
To give you [witch] a real husband,
And put human sheet music on the grand piano.

This is why Bulgakov doesn’t need to explain how Margarita had become a witch: she was one all along! She managed to deceive master and us readers just because she had a real husband, that is, her, witch’s, husband is a real man who does not know, like we do not know it, that she is a witch…

If we were to sneak to the door of the bedroom
And make a sign of the cross over your quilt,
I know, there will be a smell of burnt wool,
And sulphurous smoke will come from the flesh of the devil.

Such is Mayakovsky’s actual attitude toward the Brik couple. He exclaims: No need for you! I don’t want you!
He does not want to have a witch as his lover; he understands that he is in trouble, and suggests that God should inflict on him a different punishment:

Tie me to comets, like to horses’ tails,
And drag me, tearing me over the teeth of the stars…

Or perhaps this:

When my soul gets evicted from the body,
And comes to Your Judgment,
You make a rope out of the Milky Way,
And take me, and hang me as a criminal.

And then, completely out of despair:

Do what you want, quarter me, if you like,
I will be the one to wash your hands, Righteous,
Only listen! Take away from me that accursed one
Whom you have made my lover!

And again, he ends with a repetition:

Pressing the miles of streets under the sway of my steps,
Where shall I go, hiding this hell?
What kind of celestial Hoffmann
Has thought you up, you, the accursed one?!

Mayakovsky clearly understands that the two Briks are playing a dirty game with him. His poem is beautiful not because of his love for “Lilechka,” but because of his love for himself. Mayakovsky is an egocentric. The whole world is rotating around him. He is a poet with amazing associations. All his poetry is about himself. As he himself writes in his grandiose poem To Myself, beloved, the author dedicates these lines –

Were she to torture the poet so,
He would exchange his beloved for money and glory.

Mayakovsky is a poet, and he exchanged these verses for money and glory.

Bulgakov could naturally turn Lilya Brik (who was stalking and dogging Mayakovsky all his life) into Woland’s servant and in such a manner to finally submit the demanding lover, that is, Lilya Brik, to the service of the poet, that is, Mayakovsky. This relationship was tiring to Mayakovsky from the very beginning. Already on May 26th, 1916, in his poem Lilichka!, Mayakovsky practically begs his relentless stalker to let him go, to release him, to stop pursuing him. –

Tobacco smoke has eaten up the air,
The room is a chapter in Kruchenykh’s Hell…
It’s day still – you will throw me out,
Perhaps, first giving me a scolding…
I’ll run out, throw my body into the street,
Wild, I will lose my mind…

The poem practically portrays “Lilichka” as a sadist in a sick sadomasochistic relationship with the young homeless poet who desires only one thing: to end this morbid liaison:

My dear, my good one, don’t keep this going,
Let us say farewell right away!..

It is perfectly clear here that Mayakovsky wants to end the relationship, but he is afraid of retribution. It is Lila Brik’s husband (the three of them live together, as Mayakovsky has no place of his own, and his affair with the wife is no secret to the husband, who exploits it for what it is worth) who publishes Mayakovsky’s poetry and pays him money per line, not much, but enough for the poet’s sustenance.
Even in the 1922 long poem I Love, in which Mayakovsky talks about his life, Lila Brik occupies not too much space near the end, and the truth about their relationship isn’t too hard to figure out. The first line in the seventh chapter You is outright stunning. –

You.
She came businesslike, for the roar, for the height,
One look, and she discerned a mere boy.
She took away his heart and simply
Went to play with it, like a girl with a ball…

Is that love?


To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment