Saturday, September 30, 2017

GALINA SEDOVA. A CHAPTER ON BULGAKOV. CDLIII



The Garden.
Posting #18.


“...Breathing heavily he sat down into thick rye,
Will I sharpen, yes, I’ll sharpen a very sharp knife...

Andrei Bely. The Countryside.


I’d like to start with Andrei Bely’s poetry. In his poetry collection The Countryside (1906-1907), consisting of 11 poems, the poet demonstrates his knowledge of the Russian village, stylizing his language as rural colloquial.
The cycle is composed in the name of a Russian merchant lusting for young maidens, turning into a ruffian, and ignominiously hanged, as the cycle closes.

I’m a merchant, I am rich,
I grow flax and buy tar,
And I tar rope with it…

What a transformation follows:

…How many people I assaulted
 and what things I pillaged –
That I don’t remember – No…

What a stunning ability of this amazing poet to transform himself into any character of his choosing!
The merchant is complaining about his misfortune:

...My beard is like a spade;
I am an old merchant, am I.
All is mine: silver and gold.
[But] Lyuba [his beloved] isn’t mine!..

Having been watching the girl and her lover, the merchant started thinking “an evil thought”:

“...Breathing heavily he sat down into thick rye,
Will I sharpen, yes, I’ll sharpen a very sharp knife...

Each poem in the cycle has its own title: Merchant, Rendezvous, Too Old, etc. In the next poem On the Slope the old man makes threats against his young rival:

Just you wait, my deadly enemy,
Just you wait, I’m here.
The hour is near: you shall fall down in blood
On the breast of the earth.
Right here shall you fall down, pierced by a knife.
(Ai, lyuli-lyuli!)..

Coming to the next rendezvous with his beloved, in the poem Premonition, the young lover suddenly lost his spirit in anguish, as if sensing death nearby. As though an inner voice is warning him of the imminent danger:

“…Hey, lad, turn back,
Turn back, lad!..

And finally, The Murder:

“…Greetings, bro, an eye for an eye!
Remember, blood for blood.
We are alone, the village is far away.
Do not contradict her…

(The reader will find out who “she” is in the penultimate stanza.)

…How over this one lawn
I will spill your blood…
Somewhere over there – on the slope, a troika
Will sob briskly with its bells
Into the departing day:
Tien-teren-teren…

The merchant is tired of playing with his balalaika”:

…Let’s get down to business – why wait?
And I thrust my sharp knife
Into his chest all the way to the hilt.
The flow of red blood
Sprang forth in a red stream.
The knife crackled, the knife whistled
In the chest, in the stomach, in the side…

How realistic is this scene!

…Sounding over the cursed rattle,
Into the velvet newness
From under the red hilt
Whistles the foamy blood…
Jackdaws, ravens, crows
Will descend in a flock
And will peck out the eyes,
Immovable like glass…

The merchant is quite pleased with himself:

…To fair wenches, to faithful love-girls
He will never come,
After I had pierced him through
With my steel tooth [knife]…

The promised penultimate poem of this cycle puts everything in its place:

…How many people I assaulted
 and what things I pillaged –
That I don’t remember – No…
Here they’ll come presently
To tighten up the knot…
Here come the steps, steps are by the door,
The lock is screeching…

They are coming for the merchant, but not with knives:

…The officer is shouting to the convoy:
Draw your sabers!..

And now the promised answer as to who “she” is, in the expression: “Do not contradict her!

…They have twisted the noose smartly,
My blood freezes.
The rope [she, in Russian] is thrown over the crossbar,
Do not contradict her!..

The terrific poetry cycle closes with some terrific symbolism of Andrei Bely. Following the poem The Gallows, the last poem of the cycle From Up High ends with these chillingly graphic words:

“...Splashing emeralds into the eye
Are angry handfuls of flies [sic!]…

That’s why Bulgakov inserts emeralds into the dead eyes of Berlioz in the 22nd chapter of Master and Margarita, With Candles:

Mikhail Alexandrovich…, Woland addressed the head in a low voice, and then the eyelids of the slain man lifted up, and in his dead face Margarita, shuddering, saw the eyes very much alive, and full of thought and suffering. Everything has turned out the way it has been predicted, hasn’t it? – Woland continued, looking into the eyes of the head. – To each according to his faith. So let it be! You are departing to non-being, and I will be happy to drink to being out of this cup that you are turning into! Woland raised his sword. At this instant the outer coverings of the head darkened and shrank, and Margarita saw on the plate a yellowish skull with emerald eyes and pearl teeth.”

***


Andrei Bely’s symbolism is striking. If in the 10th poem of the poetry cycle In the Village A. Bely writes about the beloved of the slain lad:

…The shoulders are moving, they are shaking,
She is moaning through the night…
No, he won’t rise from his grave,
My falcon: Amen!..
Black swarms of flies
Are splashing into her face…

– Then in the case of the hanged merchant:

“…Splashing emeralds into the eye
Are angry handfuls of flies…

This is what N. S. Gumilev admired in A. Bely’s poetry: “The colorful impressionism of his early youth works [engrained] in most commonplace experiences.”

And indeed, “black swarms of flies” turn into this impressionistic picture:

“…Splashing emeralds into the eye
Are angry handfuls of flies…

Sic!


To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment