Saturday, September 30, 2017

GALINA SEDOVA. A CHAPTER ON BULGAKOV. CCCCXLVIII



The Garden.
Posting #13.


...I was lying in a coffin, dressed in a white shroud,
The coffin opened up and the bracket screamed;
Smiling at me was, sorrowfully numb,
My old friend, leaning over the coffin.

Andrei Bely. Old Friend.


...Andrei Bely wrote about himself as a false prophet, nailed to a cross. In his 1901 poem Retribution from the poetry collection Crimson Mantle in Thorns, this is what he writes:

I am wandering in the mountains,
A forgotten, fallen silent prophet…
The sad whisper: So, carry your cross…
I am screaming: I shall overcome all circles,
I shan’t give myself as a sacrifice to evil…

These last words are very important.

“…All too early did I rise over the lowland,
All too early did I appeal to the sleeping.
And in response to my mad screams,
They are running already with a burning hope…
There in the lowlands
Life is grim and sad like a coffin…

Andrei Bely confesses that he has deceived people with his song, started singing all too early.

…Crown my brow with sharp thorns!
I have deceived you with my song,
Crucify me, crucify me!
I know that you are yearning for my blood…

The last lines, which Andrei Bely repeats twice, are very touching, and they are also instrumental for our understanding of Bulgakov’s depiction of Yeshua in the sub-novel Pontius Pilate.

...I am nailed to the cross, I am dying,
A tear freezes on my cheek.
Someone Dear whispers to me: I know,
And closes my eyes with a kiss…

Andrei Bely is talking here about Christ, offering his mystical version of a kiss. As Andrei Bely is ready to sacrifice his life for Christ’s sake, it’s Christ Himself who comes to soothe him in his last minutes.
In a later 1903 poem Old Friend from the poetry cycle Images, Andrei Bely as though in a dream sees his own death and the death of his friend. This is the Bely poem to which Blok responded in an untitled poem from the poetic cycle Retribution (1908-1913) where Blok writes, addressing an old and tender friend:

A regal shroud I brought to you as a gift…

Here I was very much interested in the vision of Christ:

...The ethereality was rushing in its ever-drunken fabric,
And Jesus Christ was like a timeless candle
Standing alone in his garment of linen,
Wrapped in golden brocade…

What follows next is directly pertaining to Bulgakov’s sub-novel Pontius Pilate:

...Two swallows [sic!] with loving trepidation
Flew down upon the shoulders of the Savior.
He said, fly now with your chirping
To the land of coffins, you, precursors of the spring…

Thus in Andrei Bely everything is the other way around both with the kiss and with the swallows:

...I was lying in a coffin, dressed in a white shroud,
The coffin opened up and the bracket screamed;
Smiling at me was, sorrowfully numb,
My old friend, leaning over the coffin.
My friend was silent, illuminated by immortality;
Two swallows screamed into our ears,
And rushed into the aromatic ether…

Instead of the Terrible Judgment (Last Judgment), Andrei Bely is in for a celebration:

...Crossing ourselves, the two of us went out
Across this world to the Feast of Resurrection,
And the dead were rising from their coffins,
And joyful singing could be heard…”

Closing Old Friend, Bely slightly alters a previously written stanza:

...The sky was gleaming with golden brocade,
The ethereality was rushing in its ever-drunken fabric,
And Jesus Christ was like a timeless candle
Standing in the distance in his snowy-linen garment.

***

And so, Andrei Bely has a reason for calling himself a “false prophet.” His vision of humanity is too much on the optimistic side. But out of this poem Bulgakov took several things.

To begin with, it becomes clear what Andrei Bely has in mind talking about “ancient freedom” in the following verse:

Oh, where are you, – you, ancient freedom! –
I wept and screamed and wrenched my hands
With the blunt despair of an innocent victim…

...This “ancient freedom” is linked in Bely to Jesus Christ, for it is his voice that he hears lying in his coffin:

...And then it breezed in an endearingly sad whisper:
Ages will pass, and you will rise, the dead one…
And through your sleep you both will hear in your coffins
The signal of the horn blasting through the azure,
And your old friend will come to you from his coffin,
Raising his visage, blazing in the sun.

Why is this “endearingly sad whisper” relating to Jesus Christ, in Andrei Bely’s poem? Because in the 1903 poem Retribution, the nailed to the cross and dying Bely hears a voice:

…Someone Dear whispers to me: I know,
And closes my eyes with a kiss…

Who else can it be other than Jesus Christ? In both poems A. Bely uses the same word “whisper”: Someone Dear whispersand “endearingly sad whisper.”
It is also clear that Bely could not possibly call his “old friend” “someone,” and it had to be only a mystical creation of his imagination.
That’s why in Bulgakov’s sub-novel Pontius Pilate Yeshua is buried in one grave with two criminals. Coming through the character of Yeshua is especially the Russian poet N. S. Gumilev who was buried in a common grave with other condemned and executed by a firing squad.
It is because of this fact that Bulgakov does not show Yeshua’s Resurrection in his novel. He uses the image of Yeshua to show what had been happening in his own time to great Russian poets. Remember that it wasn’t just Gumilev, Blok and Bely who compared themselves to Christ, but it was also the Revolutionary poet Mayakovsky, who committed suicide in 1930. Within the short span of 9 years (1921-1930) four Russian poets perished: Blok, Gumilev, Yesenin, Mayakovsky. In 1924 V. Bryusov died, the poet who had brought the new movement of Symbolism to Russian literature. Max Voloshin died in 1932, Andrei Bely in 1934, Bulgakov in 1940, and Tsvetaeva in 1941.
Naturally, Bulgakov could not ignore this phenomenon of epidemic proportions.
Combining in Yeshua’s image three Russian-Orthodox poets, Bulgakov creates his own mystical “trinity” of Russian literature.


To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment