Friday, September 29, 2017

GALINA SEDOVA. A CHAPTER ON BULGAKOV. CCCCXLIV



The Garden.
Posting #9.


“...Oh, love me, please do love me. –
Perhaps I am not dead,
Perhaps I’ll wake up
And return!

Andrei Bely. To Friends.


From the same memoirs of Marina Tsvetaeva, I am learning that Andrei Bely was suffering from a disease of blood vessels.

“I shall never forget Bely suntanned over this day to some kind of tea-samovar color, which made even bluer the blueness of his definitely Asiatic eyes. Either because it was summer or because he was always agitated, or because the deadly disease of the vessels [sic!] had already been sitting in him, I never saw him pale, always pink, yellow-bright pink, copper-color…”

It’s likely that Andrei Bely enjoyed being in the sun, not realizing that such exposure was harmful to his health. In 1907, that is, long before his death in 1934, Bely wrote the poem To Friends:

I believed in gold’s glitter,
But I died from the arrows of the sun.
Measured ages with my thought,
But couldn’t live my own life.
Do not laugh at the dead poet:
Bring him a flower…
Oh, love me, please do love me. –
Perhaps I am not dead,
Perhaps I’ll wake up
And return!

Alas, Andrei Bely most probably died of heart-related complications from a sunstroke.
Homoeopathy has a number of remedies that can prevent such disastrous course of events. Hence, probably, this emphasis on the sun in Pontius Pilate relates not only to N. S. Gumilev, because of his Golden Knight, where he depicts Jesus Christ, but also on account of Andrei Bely’s death that he had predicted back in 1907.
Andrei Bely has another interesting poem written in 1903 and titled The Sacred Knight, which he dedicated to “poor knights”:

I cut with my diamond sword
Strips from sun’s flickers for myself,
And then made myself armor out of them,
And rose among clamors…
My golden mail has been made
From hot airy beams…

Although all these poems of Andrei Bely and Gumilev’s short story are useful for understanding Yeshua’s death in Bulgakov’s sub-novel Pontius Pilate of the novel Master and Margarita, still the most interesting in this sense poem belongs to Alexander Blok.
It is this untitled poem written on April 2nd, 1907 and included in his poetry collection Faina, that gives us most answers to questions arising from reading Chapter 16 of Master and Margarita, titled The Execution.
But first I will provide an excerpt from Blok’s poem, and then I will proceed with analyzing it.

Supple armor rang for the last time
Behind the hill,
And the lance was lost in the dark,
Neither does the helmet shine, golden and feathered, --
All that I had with me on earth.
The rising day will find my spread-out arms
Where I was gazing into the night sky.
Laughing, sun-gods will tighten their bows
And shower me with clouds of arrows.
If the approaching morning prophesizes my death,
How come your voice is silent?
I can feel over there, under the hills, upon the mountain bend,
Your lightning-filled visage is burning with ire!
Do return, you will guide the midnight lance…

Here we find everything used by Bulgakov in Chapter 16 of Master and Margarita, The Execution.

“Yeshua was luckier than the other two. During the very first hour he had become prone to fainting, and then fell into unconsciousness… Flies and horseflies therefore completely covered him, so that his face had disappeared under a black stirring mask. In his groin, on his abdomen and in the armpits nested fat horseflies, sucking the yellow naked body.”

So, who is talking here about a “helmet” and “armor”?! It was the “merciless sun” that was causing Yeshua’s fainting spells. Bulgakov writes:

“The sun scorched the crowd [of onlookers] and drove them back to Yerushalaim… Eyes were as though eaten out by the blinding shine of silver boiling in the sun.”

Yes, Bulgakov also has “armor,” but it belongs to the Centurion Mark Ratkiller, in the form of super-affixed silver lion faces. Instead of the “lance,” Bulgakov gives him a sword, a knife, and leggings. All that – on the strength of Ratkiller being merely a Centurion of Roman infantry.
But in the 2nd chapter of Master and Margarita, titled Pontius Pilate and opening his sub-novel Pontius Pilate, Bulgakov is having a field day depicting a “Legate, in charge of a legion.”

“Then before the Procurator appeared a handsome light-bearded man with eagle feathers in the comb of his helmet [sic!] (this is who gets Blok’s helmet in Bulgakov’s novel), with golden [sic!] lion faces sparkling on his chest, with likewise golden badges on the belt of his sword, in boots on triple soles, laced up to the knees, and in a crimson cloak thrown over his left shoulder.”

Thus we have found Blok’s helmet too, “golden and feathered.
The scene of Christ’s Crucifixion also comes to Bulgakov from the same Blokian poem:

The rising day will find my spread-out arms
Where I was gazing into the night sky.
Laughing, sun-gods will tighten their bows
And shower me with clouds of arrows.

It is on account of these “clouds of arrows” sent by the “sun-gods,” that Bulgakov gives the following blasphemous words to Matthew Levi:

“…A different God would never have allowed a man such as Yeshua to be burned by the sun on a pole.

And here is Blok:

…If the approaching morning prophesizes my death,
How come your voice is silent?
I can feel over there, under the hills, upon the mountain bend,
Your lightning-filled visage is burning with ire!..


To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment